Paper Cutting is a craft that I have been looking at trying for a while, I stumbled across this blog post from SLS Creative. A free paper cut template that looked simple enough to tear me away from the “nah, to fiddly” thoughts.
So What do you need to do a papercut?
- Scalpel (I opted for an x-cut swivel knife)
- Cutting Mat
I printed the design out on 200gsm white card, standard copier paper was far to thin. It didn’t take too long for me to finish the design and while yes there are mistakes, (it was my first cut after all) I was very happy with the results.
As a craft its either really relaxing or wants to make you curse.
Things I learnt
- The parts you cut away don’t have to be perfect, you are allowed to chop them up if you need to.
- Don’t press too hard, it hurts your wrists (and the blade gets stuck in the cutting mat)
- 200gsm is probably a bit thick.
- The blade needs changing sooner than you think.
I have since bought some watercolour paper and I changed the blade to start a new cut and now it’s all a bit easier and very enjoyable.
Have you tried paper cutting or do you want to?